Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Own Sunshine

Yesterday was a bit trying for me I must admit.  A friend was having a hard time and it was my job to once again be the strong one.  But, of course, once again, it was not enough.  You see, my friend absolutely insists on seeing the negative in everything, and I mean, everything.  No matter how hard I try to point out the positive, they don't see it.  I have learned that sometimes no matter how much someone else tries to help, if you aren't willing to help yourself, it doesn't matter.  And I can't be made to feel guilty for doing my best.  There comes a time when we all need to take responsibility for ourselves.  You are so right C when you said that life is 90% how you react to it.  So instead of feeling guilty or wondering what I was doing wrong, yesterday I decided to let them take responsibility for making their own changes.  I have been encouraging, supportive and done more than my share of understanding.  The time has come for them to take some control.  I will continue to be a good friend but I can no longer take the fall when things go wrong in their life and they are unwilling to participate in trying to make it better.  Beginning yesterday, I have decided to bring my own sunshine, no matter what another's weather.  There will be times when they choose to share in the sunshine and times when they would rather stand in the rain.  But I must do what is best for me.  I hope everyone shares some of their own sunshine today.  ~ D

No comments:

Post a Comment